Friday, August 28, 2009

Training Update #2

Wow! At this rate my third update will also be a race report! I will try to do better. I have had two significant events that have had an impact on my training.
The first was the return of Chris. Chris has been my training partner for past shorter distance triathlons and two half marathons. Chris also has a tendency to go faster than I normally would. I am glad I had the last 8 weeks to train while he was in New Zealand. It has given me time to build fitness to match his speed. His return has had a significant impact on the intensity of the training...I am going faster now.
The second event was Amanda beginning her job as a teacher. Being extremely motivated to do well and be prepared, she felt like she needed to get up to the school extra early before the kids arrived. This means I have had to get up at 5:00 on several occasions this week just to get my workout in before she leaves. It is difficult to feel good about your workouts when you know you will be tired all day.
So what does a week look like for me?
Last Saturday Chris and I rode about 40 miles, then immediately ran 2 miles fast (by fast I mean we averaged under 7 min per mile for both miles).
Sunday was a recovery 5 mile run.
Monday was an hour on the bike.
Tuesday was a 5 mile run.
Wed - I skipped my workout but should have biked an hour
Thursday was a 5 mile run followed by 30 min on the bike
Today I am taking off.
We will increase our weekend distances until we have ridden the full 56 miles and at least will have run 13.1 miles.
Overall the workouts are going well...meaning I am not feeling too tired, I have no injuries nor chronic areas of pain, and I am able to meet the speed of my workouts with the goals I have in mind for the race.
An additional benefit to increases in distance is related to weight loss.
About 5 years ago I started jogging, inconsistently, but I was still trying to be more active. I also stopped eating McDonalds and replaced it with Chik-Fil-A. The result...I dropped 10 pounds in about 6 weeks. Since taking up the sport of triathlon two years ago I lost another 15.
Recently with the increases in this training and a change in my diet (I increased my protein/fat intake and decreased the amount of foods high in the glycemic index) I have lost another 5 pounds. I don't necessarily want to be "small" (It was a little embarrassing to go buy pants recently and see more of my size in the "young men's" section than the "men's" section), but it does feel good to be fit and know that you are taking care of your body. I am trying not to take my health for granted. I know that it is a blessing and I won't always be able to go out and do the things I can do now to enjoy the physical freedoms with which I have been blessed. I just hope "Super Teacher" decides to go in a little later next so I can at least get an extra 30 min sleep.

Keep checking back for more updates! Thanks for reading!
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment