Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Training Update #1

This is a little overdue because I am 6 weeks into my training for a 1/2 Ironman I am going to do on October 25th. There are two different types of training in triathlon...training to compete and training to complete, I am training to complete since this is my first 1/2 Ironman race.
On shorter distance races I can train at or above the distance of the race. In other words if my race is 18 miles on the bike and 3 miles on the run, I would train by riding 20+ miles on the bike and 4 miles on my runs. Not so with this race!
Since I am taking care of 3 girls during the day, my training is limited during the week to about an hour before they wake. I have to rely on my weekend workouts to get me up to the distance where my race will be. It's getting harder!
I am pretty much constantly building my training distances up to October 25th. This past Sunday I rode 2 hours on the bike, about 36 miles. The day before I ran 8 miles. At this point it is weird to think I am going to add 1/3 on to both of those and then stack them together, but I know with consistent training my body will adapt.
Another thing I am excited about is the return of my training buddy, Chris Bell. He has been in New Zealand for the last 8 weeks. He completed a 1/2 Ironman in Kansas just before he left. I am hoping he has lost some of his fitness and I have increased mine so we will be about the same in fitness (Actually I hope I am more fit and can stay ahead so I can beat him in October!) He is really good at pushing me, something I need right now as I am increasing my intensity.
Anyways I have been staying consistent training about 6 days a week. I started at about 40 min running and 1 hour on the bike. I have doubled that in the last 6 weeks.
Keep checking back for more stories about people and their battles with cancer as well as training updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment