Friday, August 21, 2009

Edward's Story

My wife's grandfather died of cancer in August of 2003. My sweet mother-in-law took the time to write down his story.
Again, I am passing along these stories to raise awareness and funds for the Lance Armstrong Foundation while I am training to compete in a half Ironman triathlon in October. You can support me and make a donation to the Lance Armstrong Foundation here http://www.livestrong.org/grassroots2009/paulaslinlonghorn09.

Following this story I have added a brief perspective. This is Edward's story as told by his daughter (my mother-in-law), Angela Mallette.

"My Dad was Edward Siltman. He was a lifelong educator, mechanic and all-around fix-it guy. He was a wonderful Christian man; an elder at church, a Bible teacher and counselor. My parents were married 54 years with 3 kids, 8 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren to their credit. He always told us to do our best in how we lived and at whatever we tried. He encouraged us and told us how proud he was of us. We were always loved.Daddy was diagnosed with something called adeno carcinoma in August '02. He had several tests and procedures that summer because of esophageal problems. The biopsies kept coming back negative because they were going from the inside of his throat and the cancer was attacking from the outside.I was talking to him on the phone and telling him how sorry I was that he was having to go through this. He said, "Honey, you know that whichever way this goes, I'll be alright." His faith ran true throughout the year he suffered. I do believe God limited his pain as he never complained.When they tried another procedure, his esophagus ruptured and he had to endure a terrible surgery. He was touch and go for 3 months. Daddy spent time in a nursing home and was able to spend his last months at home with home healthcare helping Mother. My brother and I visited as much as we could from out of state and kept in contact pretty much daily. Our sister lives locally and was there for my parents daily. I made it a point to be sure and say and do things for Daddy so as to have no regrets. Daddy passed away August 9, 2003. Caleb, our son, and his girlfriend (now wife)and I had driven all night from TX to IL. Caleb wanted his grandpa to meet Sandra. We arrived at 5 AM and Daddy met Sandra. He was not doing well, but responded. Mother woke me up later and told me to go in with Daddy...she knew he was dying. I held his hand and told him it was OK to go... Our family coped with Daddy's illness through our faith and knowing with confidence that he would be with Jesus if the cancer prevailed. My family had a huge support of friends and extended family as well. Prayer was offered on our behalf and we claimed God's promises of strength, hope,& comfort. Daddy showed great endurance and perseverance and faith through his battle with cancer.He never complained or questioned, "Why me?".I would advise people to go to the doctor soon if you suspect something is physically wrong. If you feel you're not getting the right answers, go get another opinion. Daddy tended to put off doctoring...thinking nothing was too serious. I don't know if it would have turned out differently with this particular kind of cancer had it been diagnosed sooner, but it may have. God blessed us with a year with Daddy. It helped us get used to the idea of him leaving...I'll never get used to him being gone...the comfort is in knowing we'll see him again!"

Amanda and I also had the opportunity to drive to Illinios that summer and see him. It was good to be able to say goodbye. I remember when we were about to leave, I knew it was probably going to be the last time I would get see him. As I bent to to hug him goodbye I also gave him a kiss. That was not standard custom for us but it was the most appropriate way for me to tell him goodbye and that I loved him.
Something else I remember is going to his funeral. During the handful of times I spent with Mr. Siltman I saw how he lived. I married into his legacy. I remember coming to the understanding at his funeral the difference between just knowing Christ and following Christ as I heard my father-in-law, Kim, give his eulogy. Edward Siltman was a follower and we will definitely see him again!

Special thanks to my mother-in-law, Angela Siltman, for taking the time and tears to share this story. It was an honor to have known your dad and I am proud to share in his legacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment